Searching...

Health Benefits of Lady Finger

3:55 PM
Lady finger, or Okra as commonly known and called by people, is a popular health food due to its great nutritional value. It acquired its name because its edible part resembles a finger of a lady. Being among the most heat and drought-tolerant vegetable species in the world, lady finger can be grown throughout the tropical regions as well as other parts of the world with warm temperature.


Photo Credit

The edible fruit of the plant has high fiber content making it an excellent part of people-who-want-to-lose-weight's diet plan. Okra's fiber content helps in losing weight by binding with excess cholesterol and cleansing the colon. Its gelatinous substances also aids in constipation by absorbing water and adding bulk to our stool thus improving our colon's movement. Moreover, Okra is fat-free and cholesterol-free.

Okra is also high in Vitamin C which helps in decreasing free radicals in our body and increases our immune system. It also has high anti-oxidant content and a good source of calcium and potassium.

The seeds of ripe Okra may also be used as coffee substitute. It can be achieved by roasting the seeds and grinding them. This is a good alternative if you want a caffeine-free coffee. The leaves may also be eaten raw in salads and may be cooked too.

The other nutrients present in Okra are Vitamins K, E, A, and B complex, as well as sodium, selenium, iron, copper, magnesium, phyto-nutrients, manganese and zinc.

There are a lot of ways to prepare Okra such as cooking it whole or incorporating in soup and other dishes. Most people won't eat this vegetable due to its "slimy feel" in the mouth. Stir-frying can help in minimizing sliminess or by cooking it with acidic ingredients such as lemon juice or tomatoes.

Reference: Wikipedia

Subscribe via Email:

Delivered by FeedBurner

14 comments:

  1. I need to incorporate Okra into my diet as I need to build up fibers for faster digestion and speed up my metabolism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really a fan of okra. I rarely eat it. But I'm quite intrigued about its seeds being a coffee substitute. I think it's a healthier alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting us know the english term for okra. Great benefits indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand why people find veggies appalling when in fact they're yummy. I love Okra especially if it's crisp and paired with oyster sauce. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uhm.. I'm guilty. I never like okra.. Sorry... haha! i'll try to look for alternatives. Hihi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't really eat okra. Never in my life i've tried this until I went to KL malaysia and tried indian veggie dish. They cooked it so yummy and spicy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love OKRA. So yummy it helps me on my digestive system (LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love okra! I don't see how it's slimy, but maybe that's just me. It's one of my favorite ingredients in pakbet too :P

    - jsncruz

    ReplyDelete
  9. The slimy feel in the mouth when eating okra was the very reason why it took quite some time for me to like eating it with regularity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The slimy feel in the mouth when eating okra was the very reason why it took quite some time for me to like eating it with regularity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Same with Ness, I really cant eat Okra.. I've tried eating it once, and super fail tlga. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lady finger is Okra pala. Now I know. He he. But Okra is good in lowering blood pressure too.

    http://wwww.anythingonthebuzz.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very informative post! :)
    yun pala english ng okra. hehhehehe

    Michael Macalos
    http://michaelmacalos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this information. I was looking for the benefits of Okra actually. We love eating okra, we have fresh harvest of these in our garden everyday!

    ReplyDelete